Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Seance Review

OK Seance by BobC is a 25 page ebook that sells for $47 and can be bought at this link;

http://artfulmentalism.com/seance/

The work is bundled with another tome originally published in 1907 called "Behind the Scenes With the Mediums"

You also get, a ticket to a teleseminar blah blah blah. If you want to know more just go to the site. The only thing I'm interested in is the seance work and so that will be the only thing I review.

The first 3 pages are the cover, copyright notice, and some quotes by Jung and others. Page 4 is the introduction. Page 5 begins with conducting a seance.  Here we are encouraged to have our theatrical performance look as much like, what the public is used to as we can. The underlined psychology being that if it looks right, well then it is right. I sort of agree, but what does a seance look like? We are told that it compares with whats on TV ghost hunter shows, but I don't think so? I think it's more the Victorian round table type act that we are familiar with. Not that big of a deal so far, but lets go further. 

On page 7 we are told that the first rule of a good seance is, the atmosphere. OK that seems to go without saying, but I guess we're all to stupid to know that? I would guess that anyone wanting to do this kind of thing, would have studied some bizarre magic, and have already learned that, atmosphere is everything? But again, not that big of a deal. Perhaps he's just assuming that anyone buying this is oblivious, to the other works on the subject, and is why he seems to have a need to tell us the obvious.

He then goes on for a few pages telling us about different types of seances and methods of cold readings. Now I personally am against using cold readings in acts which seem to contact those who have passed. I think it unethical and downright criminal, but that's just my opinion. I do respect those who believe in a past life and their belief that contact is possible. This may seem like a contradiction, but it's not. What I believe is right for me, and may not be what's right for others, so I can respect others and their beliefs .This is something many in the magic community can't do, and is what leads to much of the bickering that goes on between them in public chat rooms and forums. But I digress.

We start getting to the effects around page 11 Bob starts with and effect from the Jinx called "The Goblet of Endehall". This is indeed a good effect and one I suggest you look up in the Jinx, no need to buy this ebook for it. The so called master then goes on to describe the EVP seance. This happens around page 12, so we are half way through the book before we even begin to start getting something original, or do we?

From page 12 to page 15 Bob describes an effect using a computer and program called "auducity"/ This looked to me like a great effect and something stellar, until I realized that it was an updated version of a trick I had read in the Linking Ring some time age. The issues parade section was all about seances and had a trick that involved a tape recorder which in essence is the same trick Bob describes only a more modern version. But where's the credit Bob? Did you forget again like you say you did when toting Mr. Osterlinds work as your own? Why won't you give credit where credit is due? Are you that full of yourself, that you can't admit when your wrong?

It was at this point, my readers that I clicked out the ebook. I lost my lunch and had to wash out my mouth. Mr. High holy Cassidy does it again and claims work as his own without crediting the originator. I just can't stand it anymore. That he sit in judgment of others while committing blatant unethical acts just is the epitome of hypocrisy. At least that's my opinion. How do you my readers see it?

Well I'll be back with more on this so called work in the future but this taste in my mouth needs something stronger than scope. So till next time, good thoughts.